Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Is it still November?



















A friend of our family has been staying with us for four months. He came to do a clinical rotation as a med student at the local teaching hospital. Last week he surprised us with the announcement that he'd made arrangements for my husband and me to travel with him to Washington, DC. He told me this just after I'd walked in the door from my day at work after a long and hectic two weeks.

Let's see. Two weeks before we'd unexpectedly flown to DC for one day to witness the NE Revs blow the MLS championship match for the third year in a row. The day before that my family had thrown me a wonderful birthday party filled with friends and food. And they cleaned and tided the house all day Friday afternoon before that.

Then Thanksgiving week brought us to a family wedding in Pennsylvania. My car recorded a 1300 mile round trip. We had fun with my new camera on the ten hour drive home.

So was I ready to hear about traveling some more?

I was so stunned when informed of plane reservations that I simply walked away speechless.

I don't know what KSz thought of that. Funny thing was just before my daughter arrived for my b-day she'd mentioned on the phone that I was coming down to DC in two weeks, right?

No. I don't know how you got that idea, but no, I'm definitely not going to DC again so soon.

Sure, in two weeks, right?

No.

She dropped it. When KSz told her he'd made the arrangements she assumed that meant that he'd told us about it. Nope.

I was so stunned that I recoiled from the idea every time it entered my brain. I couldn't fathom another trip.

I wanted down time. I wanted to do nothing and go no place. The tickets were bought. What could I do?

I went. And although I doubt I slept more than 8 hrs total the whole weekend, I had a great time. That's because he finally said the right words. Can't you go geocaching down there?

Ah,yes, there are virtual geocaches all around the Mall.

I was finally convinced it was possible for me to go, and maybe even enjoy it.

No comments: